Sunday, September 1, 2013

Diamond fabric

Some time ago I received from an ex weaver two stainless reeds.  She wanted a piece of my work in exchange so I've finally made it - rose and periwinkle.  More 4 colour double weave woven (almost) as drawn in.
 Last week I was in Hamilton selecting (with two others) the Creative Fibre Experience Exhibition which is held each year in conjunction with the Craft and Quilt Show.  For my sins it was decided I have to make the speech from the selectors and while driving home (1 1/2 hrs) I got thinking and decided I really should have a garment that I had woven and made to wear to these functions.  What better way to show off my 'trade'.  Sure I could weave 5.5 metres and sew a garment in ten days.  Except that life does have a way of interrupting dreams but I'll have it for next time.
Four colour double weave, two shuttle weave so slow.  The warp is royal blue and aqua and the weft is purple and teal.  See how the purple weft affects the royal blue making it darker while the teal makes the blue lighter.  Likewise the aqua is affected.  In reality the fabric is slightly darker than this.
 You can take the weaver away from her loom but you can't stop her weaving!  I was at a family function and at the end given some left over flax leaves.  I had to fiddle!


No comments:

Post a Comment